A mental health screening should be completed every year starting at age 18. Men are more likely than women to engage in risky behavior including consuming alcohol and drugs. This behavior can lead to substance abuse and depression.
Studies have shown that women will attempt suicide more often than men however, men are more successful with their attempts than women leaving men with a higher suicide rate.
Signs and Symptoms of a Potential Mental Disorder
- Anger, irritability, or aggression.
- Change in mood, energy level, and appetite.
- Sleeping too much or not sleeping enough.
- Increased anxiety.
- Alcohol or drug abuse.
- Increased negative emotion.
- Compulsive behavior.
- Unusual or obsessive behavior that concerns your friends and family.
- Behavior that disrupts your job or home life.
- Thoughts about suicide.
National suicide prevention lifeline: 1-800-273-8255